Thursday, September 08, 2005

Reflection- fractions

Today I learned that learning to convert fractions to percentages is a good way to help people practise their basic facts. I learned this because we were using improper fractions (when the numerator is large than the denominator) and converting them to regular fractions and then to percentages.

Because of this learning I can now help my students understand the importance of memorising their basic facts in another way, plus I can also look for ways to make this conversion easier for those who don't yet understand.

The next step in my learning is to check on those who don't understand how to convert fractions, plus give those who do understand an opportunity to invent a game which helps to teach this to others. Some have created a bingo-type game which is a good idea!

No comments: