Monday, October 24, 2005

The value of blogging

Hi team 13

In the very short time I was in your classroom at the end of the day last Tuesday, I notice Rob asking you to e-mail your goals to him that night. I also noticed that you were using blogs because of a notice on your whiteboard.

I am utterly convinced of the value of ICT's to help student learning, and at the same time, am a novice with using ICTs. In fact, creating my blog also created a little angst inside me. Was I doing it right? What would it look like? How would I use it?

My blogging address is (I think): http://joandalton.blogspot.com/

Much of my work with teachers is about helping them integrate the use of ICTs effectively into learning because my expertise is to do with student learning. I figure I don't have to know heaps about how to use particular ICT tools because you kids do and you can teach me (and other teachers.)

I think the work you and your teacher are doing with the use of multiple technologies might provide a powerful voice to help teachers realise what this means to students and how it helps their learning - there is nothing like teachers hearing interesting reflections from students on what they are doing and thinking and how they are doing it.

So, with all of that in mind, I'd like to invite you to write to me about your blogging experiences:

1. For what purposes have you used blogs and how has this connected in with with your regular learning?

2. What do you see as the benefits or value of blogging and how do you think this helps your learning? (Does it replace any other learning methods you have used in the past?)

I hope we can have a good learning conversation about this, and I very much look forward to hearing back from you.

Warmest wishes

Joan Dalton

No comments: