Thursday, July 28, 2005

Reflection- storytelling and algebra

Today I learned that you can teach algebra through story. My maths class were looking at what a variable is and came up with many brilliant ideas such as something that changes, a number that can alter and so on. We talked about how the water in the fish tank fluctuates and that this is the variable. Someone mentioned that that wasn't the only variable- that the amount of water or sunlight also are variables! Brilliant!

Because of this learning I'm going to get the class making up their own stories which involve variables and then express these as equations.

The next step in my learning is to share this with my teaching team because I think they will be interested and might want to try this. I'll do this by emailing this blog reflection to them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rob
Alexander has shown me how to look at the team 13 bloggers.
Wow, I think this is great and I must make sure Kit's grandparents know how to look at it.
ps Alexander is a good teacher!
Sarah Hadley